Thursday, January 15, 2015

Once a Mother, Always a Mother

SHORT STORY

ONCE A MOTHER, ALWAYS A MOTHER



As I sat at the kitchen table in my new open plan apartment I enjoy the smell of fresh coffee, paint and varnish and the pristine look of the virgin couch.  The cushions all perfectly aligned, not yet ruined by the unforgiving imprint of a human butt-cheek.   I hear mild mumblings from the apartment below and the hum of their television.  I was never to have the television on permanently.  The constant drone grated on me.  I turn on the tv to watch Masterchef Ireland and Room to Improve and that is it.  No reality tv bullcrap, no soaps.   If I can’t take away a recipe or a home decorating idea, i’m not interested.  
Cooking for one is new, different, interesting.  I don’t make enough and am left hungry for a snack.  So I pour my coffee and walk past the beautiful white marble countertop, the new dark oak kitchen table to my brand new couch.  I stop for a moment standing over the coffee table, grabbing a coaster for my cream and red Louis Mulcahy mug and open a small bag of Thornton chocolates. This was the first time in years there were no rings on my coffee table and I planned to keep it that way. I pause before I sit.  Enjoying for one tiny last second the beauty of the uncrumpled couch.   I pick up my Kobo Glo to read the latest Bridget Jones book and settle in for the evening.  


Just as I am approaching the end of Part 1 there is a knock at the door.  Its Katie my sister with a bottle of bubbly to celebrate my first night in my new home.  Its so good to be living near her again after years of being in different Counties.  She was my rock in helping me decorate the place.  It has been forever since I decorated and  didn’t take children into account.  Mine were all grown up now, Steven, my eldest working in America as a Computer Game Designer and the two girls Amy and Lucy traveling around Australia together.
She popped open the bottle and I grabbed two Champagne Flutes from the beautifully lit white kitchen press.  We toasted to new homes, new beginnings and living close.  
She didn’t stay long as Derek was at home with the Twins but she couldn’t resist popping in Because she could.


It had been a busy day so after she left, I washed and put away the mug and glasses, threw out the dark chocolate wrapper from the chocolate Clare and I finished over our bubbles, picked up the Kobo and headed to bed.  I had half closed my bedroom door when I re opened it to turn off the hall light as there was no need for it anymore.  Old habits die hard.  After washing my face and brushing my teeth in my all white en-suite bathroom I snuggled down in my brand new sheets and continued reading.  I couldn’t concentrate.  I wasn’t sure if it was all the new smells, the unfamiliar bed or the bubbles but my mind was racing.  Suddenly I started to cry.  I should be happy.  I have this beautiful new home, my sister close again, but it wasn’t the same, not without them..

No comments: